Sunday, May 07, 2006

Greek coin inscriptions

I started this blog to discuss the Digital Historia Numorum.

There was a post on FORVM today about coin inscription web sites.

I have two very large Greek coin inscription databases on my site. None of the followups mentioned DHN. Perhaps this is because my site is about Greek inscriptions. But maybe not. Maybe my site just isn't well known for inscriptions, or it is too hard to use.

The two main tools on my site are Muensterberg's lists of magistrates and the Remarkable Inscriptions appendix of the Historia Numorum. I don't provide a partial inscription search, or any form-based stuff, preferring to let readers get the whole list as a page and search it however they want.

I use the Firefox browser, which just lets me start typing letters and finds their occurance in the page. Unfortunately, most inscriptions are in Greek and I don't know how to make Greek symbols appear using the keyboard. So I often just search alphabetically, by hand.

I purchased a first edition of Florence's work on Greek ethnics used on coins but haven't bothered to typeset it, thinking there would be little interest. Muensterberg was such a pain to type in, I don't relish typing in another 94 pages if no one is using Munsterberg and HN. Still, it would be nice to have Florence — those ethnics would get Digital Historia Numorum up to the point of having most of the inscriptions in Icard, maybe more than Icard. With a few script hacks I could make up something very close to Icard and Google-searchable.

One of the down-sides of Muensterberg is that it is in German. This doesn't matter much, as he doesn't say much other than quote Greek legends and cite standard works, but perhaps I should get the two pages of General Remarks made into English for my (most English-speaking?) readers. Does anyone reading this blog have time to translate two pages from German to English?

No comments: