This blog brings numismatic news you don't get elsewhere.
Last month the ANS sold part 1 of its collection of foreign medals, orders and decorations. The press release can be found on the ANS web site.
Morton & Eden auctioned the first half of the collection on 24-25 May. The Prices Realized [PDF] is on the Morton & Eden site, but unlike the other auctions there there is no Sale Report. I was curious how the sale went, so I made my own 'report.'
I added up the prices realized and got £898,660 (= approx $1,650,000).
I spot-checked the auction highlights and they seemed to be selling above estimates
Naval General Service Medal, estimate £15-20k, sold for 40k. (lot 23)
Conspicuous Gallantry group, estimate £4-6k or £6-8k, sold for 22k (lot 332)
Most Noble Order of the Garter, estimate £18-22k, sold for 30k (lot 294)
In the pre-sale Press Release director Wartenberg Kagan promised “Money raised from the sale will go into our acquisition fund to improve our core collection of American and world coins.” I wish her and the society good hunting.
Congratulations to the ANS on a successful sale. Part 2 of the auction will be held on 25-26 October.
If any blog readers attended the live auction please write about it in the comments section below. [Disclaimer: I volunteer for the ANS but this blog entry is my own idea].
Time Again to Tell the Cultural Property Advisory Committee What You Think
About Import Restrictions on Coins for Cyprus, and any Effort to Place New
Restrictions on Coins from Guatemala and Peru
-
The State Department has announced a Cultural Property Advisory Committee
(CPAC) Meeting to consider renewals of current cultural property agreements
(C...
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment