Monday, February 17, 2014

Unusual Amisos coin

This coin, with the inscription AMISOS in Greek, recently sold on eBay Germany for about 100 euros.

I don't think I've seen this type before. I didn't bid on it, as it isn't in my collecting area, but my mind keeps drifting back to it. The reverse seems to depict a bird, but it is not the usual eagle pose or the rare owl used by Mithradates VI.

The same seller also offered some of the typical Mithridates types of Amisos, but also the seldom seen Amazon/Nike and the almost never seen Artemis?/Owl types.

Any thoughts on who is pictured on the mystery coin? 24mm, 6.5g.

2 comments:

teegee said...

The only composition this reminded me of is that of Europa sitting in the plane tree, and I recall that distantly from some book on mythology. Pat L.

Unknown said...

The bird (If it is one)is probably of the heron family given the stance and the neck shape.